Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Your treatment attempts to deal with 'rising' damp.

Does it?

Well, it was given as an alternative to a mortar skim plus replaster of
the bottom metre or so, so I took it it was? Or are you recommending
replacing the plaster on *all* outside walls with this method?

The general view these days is that *genuine* rising damp is actually
rare, and that most who recommend treatment for similar symptoms - even
if they do exist - are more likely to be profit motivated.

I've never believed in it in brick built houses and, if it does exist,
it's likely to be combined with penetrating damp. Fact is I don't really
care where it's coming from. The wall is damp and you want to stop that
penetrating to the inside so you put a barrier there which prevents
water coming in but allows water vapour to escape. Easy to do, no drying
time, and leaves you a good finish to decorate.

Assuming the original plaster is ok, it's simply adding considerable cost.

If you've cured the cause of penetrating damp by removing piled up soil
etc and made sure the pointing is sound - as you'd have to do anyway -
leaving things to dry out naturally in a habited house would be my advice.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.