On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:21:26 -0400, someone wrote:

But I do understand that even resistance heat can be cost effective under
certain circumstances. Resistance heat truly provides heat ONLY when and
where it is needed.

So does my hot water baseboard system.

ANY heating system that uses a thermostat is supposed to only supply
heat WHEN needed - there is nothing inherently more accurate about a
thermostat controlling a resistance heater, in fact the ones mounted
on the heaters themselves have additional problems from being both
down on the floor, AND near to the heat source.

As to WHERE, there can indeed be some issues when trying to use a duct
system optimized for cooling, for heating purposes. However, either a
ducted or baseboard system actually designed for heating, also puts
the heat where it is needed.

As for cost to operate - do the calcs. There is NO WAY that
resistance heating can provide btus for less $, in any place with
normal market electrical rates. This has not changed in the 30 years
that I have been paying attention to the issue. It is inherent in the
"system".

In a primarily cooling climate like FL or maybe So. TX, etc., if one
is looking at capital costs, electric heaters can make sense as they
will seldom be used, so go for the cheapest up-front cost.

-v.