Anna Kettle

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:39:05 +0100, "Roger Moss"
wrote:

I like the idea of lime - but is it strong enough to put screws in?

No, you fix battens to the
timber/brick/stone/SomethingThatIsStrongEnough and then hang things
off the battens

I have memories of old houses with light fittings, bannisters etc
dangling where rawlplugs have turned what should have been a nice
6mm hole into a dusty, almost conical excavation.

Typical DIY'ers!

Is there some special technique for fixing shelves, heavy mirrors etc
to a lime plastered wall (without drilling through in the hope of
finding a lump of stone and using 6" frame fixings to reach it!)?

We don't have stone here in sunny Suffolk so I'm not at all up on this
one. If you don't get a reply here then your best bet is to ask on
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/

Around here it it so difficult to get anyone who says they will come
and plaster to actually come and do "your" job that one daren't frighten
them off with talk of lime...

Pity cos when they have to use it they end up being very enthusiastic.
Its nice stuff to use. Maybe you should offer to send a likely
plasterer on a one day 'Lime plastering for plasterers' course. There
is bound to be one near you sometime

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642