Norman D. Crow

"Prometheus" wrote in message
ROFL! You mean like all those kids that go to school for business or

liberal arts? Even a science degree doesn't always mean much- I have
a friend who got his degree in comp. science from the University of
Wisconsin Madison, and he's been selling TVs at a Best Buy for the
past several years...

When I enlisted in USN in 1955, green as grass farm kid, I wanted to be a
"Driver" in the Seabees, but they stuck me in Electronics Tech school. When
I questioned this, I was informed that I had good math & mechanical scores
on my basic tests, and these qualities were needed to be an ET. Left an E5,
and I did support my family decently for 27yr. as a field tech for NCR Corp.
working on large scale EDP systems. To have a "blow-off" valve for the
stress from that, went back into the Naval Reserve and cross-rated to
Equipment Operator in the Seabees. I loved it, had a "feel" for it and still
do like heavy equipment. No college, just a long "life experience". It also
gave me the opening into driving truck when I couldn't take the tech life
any more.

2nd example:

In the '60's, my BIL(wife's youngest brother) left USN, did college in
Phoenix on GI Bill as a business major. When he graduated, best job he could
get was managing a 7-11. Ended up joining USAF(fiancé was a military brat,
convinced him to do it), became a C-130 navigator. Retired a few years back
as a Lt. Colonel, having earned a couple more degrees under USAF programs.
He now teaches part time @ Letourneau & another college in Longview, TX, and
is a full time Baptist Minister.

--
Nahmie