Dave Plowman

Default Potterton Profile problem

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
What does a PCB re-design cost? Pennies, I'd say.

.. then the remanufacturing, sparing, quality control, ISO9001, EMC
and safety recertification, documentation .....

Well, given that several of these weren't properly done in the first
place, and warranty claims must be considerable, I'd say it would be worth
it.

As a general rule when I did hardware design, it was reckoned that 5%
of the task was getting to a first prototype, post engineering such as
PCB layout was about another 15% and the rest were the processes to
get the thing into production and deal with lifetime issues.

Even a fairly minor component change can be a real headache.

It really is an iceberg.......

Perhaps it's just their priorities are all wrong. I never cease to be
amazed by the way makers will pare things down to the absolute minium on a
product which has perhaps the most hostile environment for electronics
found in the home.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn