RonB

Don't worry much about messing up the metal top with most cleaning solvents.
But you do need to be a little careful with the paint. For removal I have
had great luck with Citrus based degreasers. Just put it on, let is set for
a few moment and work the thicker areas with fingertips. Then wipe off with
a wad of paper towels. As others said, WD40 works well just a little
messier.

For protection I bought a product from Grizzly called SLIPIT. It is a
protectant and contact lubricant. Comes in spray and brush-on paste form.
The Grizzly rep recommended brush on. It was $10 a can for most of a
lifetime supply. Works well when used a few times a year.

Griz is pretty good about providing touch up paint if the paint is scratched
or damaged.

RonB