Secret Squirrel

"Jeremy" wrote in
:

My lovely wife just came in and asked to take me to town so we can
pickup a new Grizzly G0444Z contractors table saw. What a great
surprise for me! Now I can finally move up from the Craftsman bench
saw I've been trying to use (soon FS in the paper). I'm definately
only a hobiest woodworker so a cabinet model was out of the question.

In exchange, I've been told NOT to mention tools, wood, projects, or
anything else until January - so I'm mentioning it here. What is
recommended to clean the shipping grease from the cast top? The last
thing I want to do is mess up the iron by using the wrong cleaner
before I cut my first board. I'm also trying to decide between
TopCoat or Paste Wax to protect the top after it's cleaned. I haven't
seen wax at the local grocery store and may check at Ace. Otherwise
it's another trip to town and Woodcraft (or mail order from any number
of sources).

TIA

Saw tops are typically coated in cosmoline which is petroleum based.Any
petroleum based solvent will cut it. Delta recommends (or did in the manual
for my saw anyway) kerosene. I've used Wd-40 succesfully as well as mineral
spirits.