Andy Dingley

On 28 Oct 2004 08:06:15 -0700, (Ellen
Rawlinson) wrote:

At the risk of looking a fool,
could I ask what aquapanels are?!

The same things I asked about just a couple of days ago. 8-)

They're a bit like MDF, except made with cement instead of woodglue.
So you have a very heavy, dark grey piece of "board" that doesn't mind
getting wet. Popular for making shower enclosures, because you can
tile over the top.

A few years back I made a Gaudi-like tiled garden pond from this stuff
- Aquapanel, bought from Wickes. This week I'm replacing exterior
fascia boards with another brand, Viroc Versapanel. Following
recommendations though, I'm having the plywood shop saw it to size for
me, to save dust and wear on my tools.

I also have a suspicion that 20 years ago this stuff was radically
new, and I bought a pair of hand-made speaker enclosures made from it.
"Musician Bonsais", individually made drive units by a lab technician
(?) at Liverpool University. And very good they still are ! It's an
excellent material for making speakers - even better than MDF.
--
Smert' spamionam