RonKZ650

WD40 is a wax disssolved in a mixture of solvents. It will eventually
dissolved the resistive material inside many pots...thus permanently
destroying
the part.

This has always been a unsubstantiated rumor in my opinion, others can
disagree, mostly people that have never even used WD40, just read about the
problems and relaying the rumors that have little fact.
I'll tell my experience. Way back in 1978 when I started in the business we
used WD40, never ever hurt a thing, then used commercial tunerwash, never hurt
a thing, then when CFCs were taken out of tunerwash it was suddenly very risky
to use because it would desolve certain plastics ruining parts. We went back to
WD40 which I still use today although rarely do pots come into the picture with
newer equipment.
So in summary, I've cleaned many thousand pots and tuners with WD40 and I'd
recommend it.