mac davis

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:44:26 -0400, "Zed Rafi"
wrote:
you can also buy or make accessories, such as hold down clamps that
use the holes..
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...d_holdfast.jpg
(Ken Vaughn's site... an education in WW)
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/main.html

one of the most useful things that I've made are cam clamps...

I was trying to build glaceing clamps and wasn't happy with them... I
had cut out 2 or 3 cam-shaped pieces and put 3/4" dowels through them,
and one was laying on the bench... I found that I can use them as
"adjustable" pegs and clamp things in the middle of the bench with
them...

Ahhhhhh...... i see.....

now that you've told me that, i see a million uses for it.... to think that
i've been clamping my workpieces down on my workbench all this time.... it
was annoying me so much and i kept thinking "there's gotta be another
way...."

thanks a lot for the info

"Stephen M" a écrit dans le message de
They are called "dog holes". The stick that you place in them is called a
"bench dog"

There should be a vise which also has one or more dog holes. A dog placed

in
a fixed hole in the bench top used in conjuction with a dog in the vise
become the "jaws" of potentially large vise or clamp above the surfadec

of
the bench.

You should be able to get the idea from the picture on this link

http://www.woodirect.com/workbench.htm

"Zed Rafi" wrote in message
Hello,

A couple of years ago, i bought a workbench assembly at Canadian Tire

(our
Home Depot).
The top working surface has a number of holes bored through it, in each

of
which can be fitted the lower end of a cross-sectionally rectangular,
elongated wood stick. When this wood stick is fitted in one of these

bores,
it projects vertically upwardly from the surface of the workbench.

What are these for??? I imagine they're used as guiding means of some

sort.
I've kindda discarded them cause i didn't see any use for them.... but

i've
seen them around on other workbenches than mine, so i imagine they must

be
useful to some extent.

thanks for the info