Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:25:08 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

Looking for a bit of advice please.

My mum has an electric shower (Mira Supreme, which according to the web is
either an 8 or 9 Kw, I have yet to go and look at it) that has been in the
house since new build in 1994. She is telling me the 'pressure' has
decreased over the last few months, it still works OK to have a shower but
"not as powerful as it was", She has removed and cleaned the shower head
which makes no difference. Is it likely to be furred up and if so is there
a cure, apart from replacement.

Could be. You can get them descaled or do it yourself with a
descaling acid - e.g. one intended for HW systems

If she goes down the replacement path can
you get 'powerful electric showers or are the dependant on your incoming
water pressure? I presume you cannot put a pump in the circuit because of
pumping mains water. Assuming the cable is the correct rating is it worth
putting a higher Kw rated shower in it's place, and will this create the
feeling of more pressure? I hope that makes sense to everybody, it does to
me but I know what I am trying to say!

You can get electric showers up to about 10.5kW for normal domestic
use. This will give proportionately more flow, but no electric
shower can be described as "powerful"

You can't put a pump on a mains supply, but really it wouldn't achieve
anything because the flow is designed to be lower than the supply
would give to allow sufficient heating to take place.

Cheers

John

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl