Noble Pepper

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:47:29 -0500, Walter Cohen wrote:

My patio doors are really pretty old and the inner seal recently gave
way on one of them so I want to get them replaced before winter sets in.
The whole unit in the frame is 72" wide and 80 " in height which the
local window showroom says is a standard opening.

They gave me a price on a standard sized Andersen Permashield vinyl clad
door (which is all I want) at about $890. I had one local installer
come by to give me an estimate and he said that the opening indeed is
'standard' and the Andersen doors should basically fit right in with no
need to change the opening/size.

He quoted me a price of approximately $750 for installation! Is it me
just me or does this price seem way too high for what he needs to do? He
even said the doors should just fit right in and maybe he'd have to
remove the inside wood trim around the door.

Of course he said that would be the price barring any unforseen
circumstances, etc. He also said that he needs to take away the old
doors/frame and the town / dump would charge him a disposal fee whereas
if he left the doors out by the street in front of my house and have the
town pick them up then he would save me the disposal fee (whatever that
might be).

I'm thinking I need to get at least two more estimates....

What do you all think?

Thanks,
Walter

You must have "sucker" written across your forehead.

The most expensive sliding door on Lowes web site is under $500. I
replaced an old aluminum sliding door at my mothers house with a friend
of mine in under a day. The opening was to big and we had to frame it in
so it wasn't the simplest installation.

I would think you could get a very nice door (installed) for less than
$1000.