GeoCrunch21

Subject: Tool advice
From: "Harry"
Date: 10/25/2004 9:59 PM Eastern Standard Time

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Harry wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message
news On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:49:50 -0400, "Harry"
wrote:

I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone
point me to
the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old
(B&D) power tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was
hoping for some suggestions
(Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw,
jig saw,...) the works.

Why? The old B&D power tools were well-built. I still have a B&D
palm sander. Last year my 35 year old B&D died, and I replaced it
with a Milwaukee that has a larger chuck. Makita brand power tools
are very good. Porter Cable, Bosch and DeWalt are better than
average. Cordless tools are rather expensive and it is rare they
last longer than a few years. In recent years I have been moving
toward pneumatic tools rather than cordless.

Some of them need replacing (triggers broken, etc.) I actually
took a look at B&D again, but was told that they are no longer
considered a "good" brand, just like Skill, Ryobi, etc. Makita
seems to be a brand many are quck to recommend. You are the second
person to mention pneumatic tools. I'll have to take a look at them.

B&D has various lines (as do most others)...professional, homeowner, etc.
Their Pro stuff is as good as anyone elses. Also, you can replace
triggers,
etc.

Well, you are talking to someone who just "pretends" to be a handyman :-)
Seriously, though, not having experience with brands, etc., it's hard to
tell whether some powertool is good, or a good value. COuple that with the
fact that many (most ?) sales people don't really know much about the tools
they are selling and... For example, HD has a set

Black & Decker GelMax 14.4 Volt Drill/Studfinder/Flashlight for $80

I don't care for the flashlight and the Studfinder, but it comes with 2
batteries (which is good). My first impulse was, B&W is a descent band,
14.4 Volts sounds powerful enought, and the price is not bad. But when I
talked to the sales people and they told me, "... you really want to stay
away from B&D, you really want this 18 Volt Makita for $199,..." That
totally confused me.

BTW, I hadn't though about the replacement part route. I'll try that, as
well - thanks!

Unless you plan on using the tool every day, the Black & Decker, with the 2
batteries sounds like a good deal. Even if you find something less expensive
than that (at least 14.4 V), it would be good for a weekend-type use.