On 27 Oct 2004 22:33:25 -0700, (Dan Cullimore)
wrote:

patriarch wrote in message 9.17...
(Dan Cullimore) quotes the important parts

My question is: can I repair this split with glue and use the plane

So, what do you want when you're done? Do you want a restored, old
handplane, a visibly repaired user plane, or something else?

snip somewhat sad story

Patriarch,
who's got one similar on the shelf. Came as a birthday present. Holds the
books beautifully. One coat of wax.

Not that a "restored, old handplane" is undesirable, but I do want to
use the thing. Can I fix the split with glue and have a user? I
don't think the plane is rare enough nor in such condition as to
qualify it being "collectable"--no ebony'n'ivory here g. To do the
repair will take a bit of work; all I want to know is will I have a
tool I can use when I'm done, or do these kind of repairs not work
well? I can't see why it wouldn't, but that is based on my
inexperience. Anyone on the rec had experience with such repairs? An
earlier suggestion about using a dowel made some sense. Any other
thoughts?

Dan

since I can't see the damage I can't really assess the situation. what
I can say is you are unlikely to make it worse.go ahead and try. what
I'd do first is disassemble it as far as possible. take all of the
metal parts off and get a good look at the wood parts. if necessary
you could make a replacement for the body, if the damage is too much
to fix. if you want to attempt a repair, remember that any parts you
glue to it have to fit well and the surfaces have to be clean. one
approach to fixing a crack is to run a saw kerf through the crach and
fit a slice of wood into the kerf.