Matt Whiting

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Bill wrote:

If I was a developer building 50 new homes, I would want to cut expenses
anywhere possible and install 14 ga. wire/15 amp everywhere unless 12
ga./20 amp was required by code. A few dollars saved times 50 homes can add
up to a big savings and more profit!

If I was a developer building my *own* home, all 120 V outlets and lighting
would be 20 amp with 12 ga. wire.

Well then, you wouldn't be much of a business man or promoter. Look
at all they hype you could get if you said all the wiring was 12 gauge
and heavier than the normal house. The extra few buck per house,
would be worth a lot of money in advertising.

I also would select (have for add ons) 12 gauge wire for my house, but
there is no reason to put in all 20 amp breakers. Certainly there is
no reason for most lighting circuits. How often would one have more
than 1800 watts of lighting on a circuit; that eighteen 100 watt
lights. A better alternative is more circuits.

Why not put in 20A breakers? 15A and 20A cost the same. Making the
home owner buy another breaker to fully utilize the capacity of the wire
is just dumb.

Matt