Mark D. Zacharias

(sigh)

Well, we're not psychic, after all. All we can do without actually
troubleshooting the piece is offer our experience and some generalized
advice. Occasionally we do see a common problem. Only someone who works on
lots of Panasonics would have a clue if there were any such common problems
on your model. There are fewer and fewer such people anymore, since there
are fewer techs generally, and the players are so cheap these days they are
often thrown away rather than repaired.

Mark Z.

"Don" none@given wrote in message
Hi,

Mark D. Zacharias wrote in message
1. Could be turned off in the menus.

Not possible (?) on this model. VFD can be set to *dim* but
not "off". (I have, of course, verified the display is black on
all possible settings...)

2. Maybe bad solder connections at the display tube. Fairly common.

That didn't seem to be the case.

3. Missing filament voltage or -30V power supply.
4. Bad driver IC

Looks as if there is a small microcontroller on the PCB
that handles the display and other indicators. Note that
the LED's work and buttons work -- so MCU appears
to work (though that doesn't guarantee the VFD drive does).

5. Display tube broken or otherwise bad.
6. Other?

(sigh) Next time I get a chance to disassemble it, maybe I'll
poke around more. Or, just leave it black since it really
doesn't display much :-(

Thanks!
--don

"Don" none@given wrote in message
Hi,
I'm looking for pointers or a schematic of the front panel
VFD drive electronics for a Panasonic DVD-CV51.
VFD appears dead. Player works fine, otherwise
(including the other front panel buttons and LED indicators).
While the display isn't crucial to the operation of the
player, it's kind of irritating to know that it *should*
be illuminated, yet isn't! :-(
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
--don