Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:48:16 GMT, Fred wrote:

Also the roof itself has nail fatigue and what not and will
certainly need regular roofing attention. In my experience, keeping
these old roofes going costs about 250-300 per year.

In comes sprayseal (and warmroof and apparantly a few others) who
offer to basically use foam to glue the roof in place and offer near
perfect thermal insulation.

Personally I wouldn't have such work done. Far better to have the roof
stripped, timbers replaced as required, a modern breathable sarking
fitted, new treated battens and the tiles/slates put back assuming
they are in good enough condition. Any flashing done in at least code
4 lead. You shouldn't have to worry about the roof again, the void
will no longer be a wind tunnel and be clean.

It may also be worth thinking about the resale value. What is lurking
behind that foam? The timbers can no longer dry out. You admit
yourself that the roof is not in good condition and no sarking means
that water *will* get blown in...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail