HA HA Budys Here

From: HorneTD

Eric Ryder wrote:
"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" wrote in message

In upgrading our electrical we have the choice of either keeping the
main breaker inside the house or locating it outside as part of a
combo unit with the meter?
[Note we need a separate main breaker since the main panel is about 20
feet away from where the meter is and the supply enters the house]

Locating the main breaker outside would save a little money since we
avoid the need for a separate breaker box inside.

Are there any disadvantages (or advantages) to having the main breaker
outside?

(note we still will be able to shut off power inside at the main
panel, I assume)

I'm not an electrician, but I've been taught that when the load panel is
remote (=10'?) from the entrance/meter that a disconnect (not a breaker)
has to be installed at the meter by code. The main breaker would be in

the
load panel per norm.

As far as fire response personnel go, I believe that they routinely pull

the
meter before entering involved structures.

You were taught wrong. The distance from the point of entry of the
service entry conductors to the interior of the structure to the service
disconnecting means is what is limited rather than the distance from the
meter.

10' of SE conductor.

An enclosed circuit breaker is a perfectly acceptable Service
Disconnecting Means under the US NEC. If there is a disconnecting means
elswere then the panel will be main lug only (MLO) unless the main
breaker panel is cheaper. Although a few fire departments still pull
meters there is not one public utility that approves of this practice.

Mine issues meter keys to the various FD's. (all newer services, and older
services 200a or higher automaticall het meter locks, not just thos silly
money-bag seals) They do approve of not only pulling the meter out, but also
give them insulated covers to close up the live jaws. In addition, they approve
of the FF's taking a nice swift axe hit to the meter itself, (while on the
ground) to prevent the customer from plugging it back in before the homeowner
re-obtains his CofO.

Meter jaws are not designed to be separated under load. Arcing and arc
burns can result from doing so.

Nevermind the potential for arc burns, the meters are pulled right before
they're about to enter an involved residence.

Services larger than four hundred
amperes will not be deenergized by pulling the meter. Meter cans in the
225 to 400 range are usually equipped with shunts that bypass the meter
when the lever is operated to release the jaw tension on the meter.
--
Tom H

PS I am an electrician and a firefighter.