Set Square

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Steve Pearce * wrote:
I have a radiatior whose bleed valve was cross-threaded, removing it
has completely destroyed it. No problem I thought, just get a new
one. However I've not been able to source one at the usual D-I-Y
suspects. The valve is simply a small screw, the end that goes into
the radiator has a taper. It has the normal square end. All the ones
I have seen are much larger. This radiator dates from the late 80's
so I assumed that things wouldn't have changed much.

Anyone know a source for a suitable valve?

This is the type built in?

Assuming you've tried the maker, the only other thing would be to
check out lots of different sellers - including all the sheds. The
type sold as a complete valve and body to screw in will have a
standard radiator fitting, but might well have a different actual
valve.

Alternately, find a brass screw that fits and have a point machined
on it.

If it's like most of the bleed screws in my house, it will have a 2BA
thread. Get a 2BA brass bolt, with a hex head, about 1" long, and a couple
of nuts. Lock the nuts on about half way along the thread, with the hex
edges on the nut nearest to the head alligned with those on the head. Hold
it by the head and the first nut in the chuck of an electric drill, mounted
in a horizontal stand. Turn the drill on and use a small flat file to file a
45 degree (90 degrees at the apex) cone on the free end of the bold.

When this is screwed into the bleed hole, it should do the same job as the
original bleed screw - except that the head will stick out a bit further.

If the threads in the rad itself are damaged, you may have to clean them up
with a 2BA plug tap.
--
Cheers,
Set Square