Stephen M

Stephen do you own this bench?

No. That was just the first picture I could find with a quick search.

My bench is home made.

It shows that the center wood top is 1 1/8" thick,
that should be 5/4 or 6/4 stock I think, but do you think it matters if

the wood is
that thin?

In the field of the bench, no, I don't think super thick is required. But
more beef is always better.

It seems to be a good deal compared to the Rockler $400 Sjoberg.

The materials for my bench (including vise wardware) were less than that,
and it weighs well over 200 lbs.
I'm really a proponent of "build your own". It doesn't mater if you
implement a plywood, tubafor, or a classic european hardwood bench. Just do
it. It's good skill-building excercize for almost anybody.

A complete newbie doesn't need that need the classic bench and probably will
opt for a simpler design. By the time you *need* the classic bench, you'll
have the skills to pull it off.

There are no one right answer in bench building. It varies with the skills
and techniques of the user/builder.

On topic:

I just bought 8 Lignum Vitae pen blanks to become bench dogs, they'll be

fun to make!

Alex