David S Lawson

[Posted and mailed]

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Hi

Does the recess have to be perfect. I have a nova compact chuck. Currently
no matter what I try to secure the chuck to the wood, I can tighten enough
to keep the wood secure. I believe that i have the correct angle.Maybe the
cut isn,t clean enough.

Any suggestions
Keith

To make the recess as secure as possible, cut it only just large enough
to accept the closed jaws. Under cut the recess to form a wedge shape
so the jaws do not slip out. mount on the jaws and open them to tighten
against the recess wall. this way you will have almost continuous
contact with the wood giving a tighter hold with less stress on any
point of the recess, with no jaw marks inside the recess. If you use a
larger recess there will be limited contact between the jaws and the
recess walls with the risk of the wood flying off - CATCH!!!
--
Dave Lawson