Andy Hall

Default Potterton Profile problem

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:06:17 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
One would have hoped that they have eventually sorted the "electronics"
problems of this boiler but from what you say this doesn't seem to be
the case:-(

That depends on the lifetime cost to the manufacturer of leaving alone
vs. doing a design change.

What does a PCB re-design cost? Pennies, I'd say.

... then the remanufacturing, sparing, quality control, ISO9001, EMC
and safety recertification, documentation .....

As a general rule when I did hardware design, it was reckoned that 5%
of the task was getting to a first prototype, post engineering such as
PCB layout was about another 15% and the rest were the processes to
get the thing into production and deal with lifetime issues.

Even a fairly minor component change can be a real headache.

It really is an iceberg.......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl