Phil Addison

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:18:40 +0100, Simon Hawthorne
wrote:

I'm assuming these 8mm couplings (with the solder rings) are 'dead
easy' to use - so long as the pipe is clean.....(any one got any links
to some good websites that can talk me through it - I've read a few
books but am a complete amateur!).

These sites are aimed at soldering small electronic parts but the
principles are similar.

http://www.mtechnologies.com/building/atoz.htm
(click on Soldering 101)

http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderpix.htm

Others have given most of the advice you'll need; there's just a couple
of other things I can think of:

The test of a good joint is a narrow continuous ring of shiny solder all
around the pipe at the pipe/coupling junction. Any gaps in the ring are
usually due to inadequate cleaning. It is said that a modern 'active'
flux copes well with uncleaned pipe, though I always polish up the pipe
and coupling inside with fine wire wool.

You could use 15mm valves with 15/10 or 15/8 reducers to adapt to your
pipe if that gives a cheaper overall solution.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me