Mungo Henning

Simon Hawthorne wrote in message . ..
Thanks again all. I'm off to buy a bag of bits, and as suggested,
have a go on some bits of pipe away from the 'work'.

Emm, just to counteract the more positive replies already received here,
in my experience I have had "problems" with 8mm microbore and TRVs.

I still use 8mm in the house (I used it in a self-designed "underfloor
take the chill of the floor tiles" project, with much success).

With the 8mm TRV I found that it was a reasonably standard TRV with a fancy
olive to reduce from 15mm to 8mm.

The olive was "special" such that when you fitted the TRV the wrong way round
(yes, I appreciate my mistake) then removing it proved problematic.
No need to lecture me on the amount of compression required please - I made
the mistake and I paid for it.

So the eventual conclusion (apart from some consideration of my own
competence) was to use 8mm piping where it was warranted but fit 8mm-to-15mm
converters and just buy standard 15mm fittings for the connection to the
radiator.
When someone accidentally whacks a vacuum cleaner against an 8mm pipe it may
suffer more damage than if it were to be a 15mm pipe.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Seriosuly though, thanks. This newsgroup really is the best.

Seriosuly (!) I thoroughly agree with you. Just remember that when you
gain some expertise in an area then please consider sharing your knowledge
with all the other readers of this newsgroup.
Mungo :-)