John Weeks

You want the dovetail in the wood to have at least as acute an angle
as the dovetail on the chuck - but since it is unlikely you'll match
the angle perfectly, make the dovetail in the wood more acute than
that of the chuck. If the point of the chuck's dovetail contacts the
wood and the rest of the metal dovetail isn't in firm contact with the
wood the wood piece will wobble and come loose. Better to have the
point of the metal dovetail not in contact and the metal side and
bottom contact the wood further back. That way you have two firm
points of contact all the way around and the more you tighten the
chuck the more these points of contact come to bear. This gives you a
firm grip on the wood.

In the ascii scetch below, imagine the inner part (the chuck) in
actual contact with the bottom and you get the idea.

/
/ /
/ /
/ /________
---------------

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:02:07 -0230, "Keith Young"
wrote:

Yes I am a newfoundlander and we have some very excellent woodturners here
in this province.

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Hi

Does the recess have to be perfect. I have a nova compact chuck. Currently
no matter what I try to secure the chuck to the wood, I can tighten enough
to keep the wood secure. I believe that i have the correct angle.Maybe the
cut isn,t clean enough.

Any suggestions
Keith