Ken Moon

"n2sawdust" wrote in message
lkaboutcrafting.com...
Can you tell me how your experience was with the HF knock off? I have the
much smaller HF lathe and have gotten hooked on the craft but want to
upgrade with limited $$. I have seen the HF/Jet/Delta clone and locally I
can get it for $180. What was your experience with it?

=====================
If you're talking about the HF model 34706 (the Jet 1236 clone), it's
probably the best of the bottom end lathes (under $200). You may want to go
with the smaller Jet Mini (1014) with extension (manual speed change version
now availabnle through some vendors for $199 + extention + shipping).
Variable speed versions go for around $325. The Jet is a better quality
machine, but the HF 34706 is a good intro lathe, heavy enough to not walk
around every time you start it up, and versatile enough to do most things
you'll want to try for the first couple of years (or longer, if you're cash
deficient). Two things against it; the Reeves drive will probably chew up
your OEM belt pretty soon, so have a link belt on hand, and DON'T try the
tool rest extension, as it tends to break pretty easily (does the same on
the Jet 1236)

Ken Moon
Webberville,TX