DanG

Try heat. If you do not own a heat gun, try a hair dryer first.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"lou" wrote in message

I'm re-doing our bathroom. It was last refurbished in roughly
the
early '60's and so is your typical pink and black bathroom with
tile walls. I've removed the tiles using a hammer and chisel.
Underneath is a glue that kept the tiles stuck to the wall. I
don't know what they used; it's brownish in the color of Liquid
Nails, but much less gooey and even sort of dry. In fact, I can
use a putty knife to scrape some of it off, but other spots are
too hard to do so.

I'm wondering how I can get this off so that I can smooth down
the wall to paint it. It doesn't seem to be water soluble. It's
too rough and hard to sand, at least with the little electric
sander I have (it would take forever and would require a zillion
sheets of sandpaper). Paint remover seems to soften it up very
nicely, allowing me to scrape it off with a putty knife, but the
problem here is at least the paint stripper I'm using costs
about
$10 a jar and it would take a lot of stripper to completely
remove the glue, thus hundreds of dollars. Mineral spirits
doesn't seem to dissolve it.

Any recommendations for getting this stuff off? I can't be the
first one to run into this situation.

Thanks--