TURTLE

"Hybyd2" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi Turtle,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. The model number of the furnace,
which is a Carrier, is 58EG080239 and the serial number is 9673188505. I
believe you are right in your guess that it is an auto-spark ingition (there
is no constantly burning pilot light). The furnace is running fine right now.
Since it's running fine right now, if it was the pilot light valve sticking
what should I expect a professional to do if I call one in? (For safety
reasons I don't attempt any gas furnace repairs myself). The reason I ask is
that I called one in last year and (as I mentioed in my posting below) -when
he came it fired fine and he checked the furnace out (heat exchanger etc) and
said all was well. Should the pilot light valve be replaced (is there a
solenoid in there which could be going bad?) or is mainly natural gas crud
which need to be cleaned. Can the valve be cleaned or does it need to be
replaced?

Once again, Turtle, I appreciate your taking the time to reply. Which part of
the country do your service - if you're near where I live (central NC), I'd
like you to take a look at it.

Thank you,

Henry

This is Turtle.

I'm in Louisiana and your in NC which would make the mileage or trip charge a
little stiff. LOL LOL .

Well after the model number here it still looks like a sticking gas valve but
the pilot lite section of the gas valve. They can't be cleaned for you would
have to disassemble the valve to clean it and that is a no no now day. 35 years
ago I / we would have done it and clean it but after all the lawyers with the
rules they wrote. No one in their right mine will do it now days. You replace
them and not clean them out. This seems to be the # 1 thing it is but without
looking at it. it is hard to tell. The Carrier 80K btu 58 series furnaces back
around 1996 was pretty good ones and seem to not have much trouble out of them.

Now calling a tech to come see about a sticking gas valve and it not do it while
he is there. They call that wishful thinking as to tell what it is or your
wasting your money.

OK here is you a test to see if it is a gas valve doing it. Have the face off of
it and wait till it acts up. If it is buzzing and not lighting up. Take a screw
driver and hit the body of the gas valve with the handle end once or twice and
see if it will light up. If it lights up, change the valve. If it don't , keep
popping it to see. Most of the time it will only take one light tap on it and it
will fire up.

Now for me to say change the valve out now without any testing is kind of wild
here. Pop it when it is buzzing and see.

TURTLE