Ed Sirett

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:28:11 +0000, raden wrote:

In message , G&M
writes

"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message
. ..
On 15 Oct 2004 02:35:20 -0700, (Jo) wrote:

My mate's central heating system needs to be flushed to get rid of a
build-up of sludge. British Gas came round and told him that although
his boiler is working fine, it is a bit on the old side and it might
be badly damaged when the system is flushed so it would make sense for
him to buy a new boiler. (If he buys the new boiler they will flush
his system for free, if he doesn't, it will cost £400 PLUS the cost of
a new boiler if it breaks during the operation.)

I guess my question is - is he being conned or is there a real chance
of this happening?

Why doesnt he get a second opinion from another CORGI
engineer/company?

Sort of implies that BG staff have CORGI licences :-)
Did they all actually bother to do so after privatisation ?

They did, but then realised how much it was costing, so they said (in a
nutshell) we're not going to register our fitters anymore, what are you
going to do about it?

I thought it was the Transco guys who weren't registered.
Some jobsworth of a BG customer would soon have clocked the problem if
BG fitters weren't registered?

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
www.diyfaq.org.uk