Norm Dresner

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Norm Dresner wrote:

body, and remove them one at a time... it is always easier on the board
than solder wick, or those hand held vacuum thingies. I even do that

with
my PACE desoldering station if I don't need to save the chip.

-Chuck Harris

As soon as my eye is healed enough (from surgery) to be able to bend

down
and see well enough to solder I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the desoldering tip.

Norm

Hi Norm,

If you are just recovering from eye surgery, I would like to suggest that

you
do two things before soldering:

1) wear a pair of eyeglasses, or safety glasses, and
2) use a small muffin fan to draw the fumes away from
your face.

The last thing you want after eye surgery is to get a solder burn on
your cornea, or the irritation can come from flux fumes.

-Chuck

I've worn glasses to "see" ever since I was in the 2nd grade but my wife (a
former industrial chemist) and I had this discussion only yesterday evening
and concluded that I should wear the same protective goggles that I wear in
the workshop -- their advantage is that they're closed on the sides as well.
She (and I) are also well aware of the problem from the fumes.

Thanks for taking the time to make these suggestions.

Norm