On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:01:27 -0600, BruceR wrote:

Gary Fritz wrote:
wrote:

a cure process where the polyurethane/acrylic does it's
crosslinking bit and releases it's primary solvent, usually one of
the slower alcohols. this takes a few days, during which it
becomes harder and more chemically inert. once this is complete
new layers no longer bond chemically, and witness lines and
delamination start to become problems.

Hmm. So it's been almost 24 hrs since the last coat. Am I going to
regret it if I add another coat 24-48 hrs after the last coat?

depends on the product. generally they recommend recoating pretty soon
after it's dry to the touch. what's it say on the can?

One thing to watch for is making too many layers with a semigloss
finish. Each layer reduces the clarity and begins to hide the wood.

depends on the product. some MFRs make satin by adding white powders
to the finish. they cloud with build. some make satin other ways.
enduro products for instance don't cloud with build.

Usually you do all the base coats with "clear" and then do the final
satin coat with the satin or SG finish.
I've only used the minwax stuff and have applied extra coats within
minutes and sometimes weeks later. I would avoid any recoats in the 4-24
hour range since the surface is too dry for the next coat to adhere well
and too soft to properly "scuff" it up.
After 24 hours you can do whatever leveling sanding you need and apply
another coat.

-Bruce