Sunflower

"Dave Solly" wrote in message
I'm just about finished striping the wallpaper from our kitchen wall. We
want to texture the wall and paint it. I thought I saw on some TV show
someone adding the paint to the drywall mud, and therefore skipped the
steps of priming and painting. The added benefit would be that if a spot
got chipped, you wouldn't have a white spot.

Anyone know how to do this? Do you use powered drywall and mix the paint
in, or can you do it with ready mixed drywall mud?

Thanks.

Dave

This must be your first kitchen. Otherwise you'd already know that
"texture" is a bad thing in a kitchen. That is, if you ever do more cooking
than heating up a box dinner in a microwave. Textures trap grease, which
traps dirt, and it all turns to this really sticky mung that's incredibly
hard to remove down deep in the crevices. That's why I hate even cabinets
with too much molding to them. Too many places for grease and dirt to hide
and not be gotten to easily. The perfect surface for kitchen walls and
ceiling would be stainless steel or porcelain, which a lot of commercial
kitchens have. At least a nice semi gloss painted flat surface is more
easily scrubbable. Stick with that.

And if you're gonna experiment with applying a texture to a surface, then do
so in a second bedroom or laundry room or some place you won't stare at the
imperfections each and every day. Because it takes a lot of skill to do
right, and even lots of experienced painters don't do so hot a job at it.
And it's even harder to remove than wallpaper is. So don't curse yourself
with "individuality". You can still put your stamp on your home without
ruining it's practical aspects. Besides, textured walls in anything other
than a genuine adobe or hundred year old falling down wreck are an
affectation and look kinda stupid.