Gary Fritz

MikeG wrote:
Of course the pits are lower then the wood, that's oaks job.

OK, you had me wondering there. :-) So you're saying just smooth out
the finish and don't worry about the pits in the open grain.

As for the strength of the poly. It'll take weeks before it cures
fully, oil takes even longer. It'll help if you give each coat
twice as long to cure as recommended before adding the next. Also,
depending where you live of course, environmental factors can
effect curing time. 50 degrees, which it is here right now, is not
the ideal temperature for finishes. Finishes like about seventy.

I didn't give it all that much extra time, but I did it in the basement
to avoid 50deg temps. It was right around 70.

Gary