David

It will harden over time, Gary, but I'll bet you the contents of my shop
that even 3 months from now, you will be able to scratch it with your
fingernail (dragged vertically in line with the edge of the fingernail).
Moisture left on the surface for most of the day will mar the finish.
Short term spills shouldn't bother it, however.

David

Gary Fritz wrote:

Gary Fritz wrote:

No matter what the 'purists' say . . . I like water-based poly
for finishing a 'working' surface, like your kitchen table. It's
both hard and relatively impervious to liquids & damage.

Hm. Does it harden as it cures? I just looked at the table and I can
fairly easily scratch/dent the finish with a fingernail. That would
NEVER stand up to my kids.

I just put the 3 coats on yesterday, so maybe it just needs more time.

Gotta say though, the surface is nice and satiny. Just a few dust pips
here and there. Not sure why it would be necessary to use the uber-
fine sandpapers unless you wanted a glassy finish.

Gary