David

Gary, as much as I like applying WB poly, it wouldn't be my finish of
choice for a well used dining room tabletop. You can increase the
durability (water resistance, abrasion resistance) of Enduro polys by
adding Crosslinker. It is expensive, at $30 for a small bottle, but it
goes a long way.

Another option would be to use a more durable finish such as C-V.

David

Gary Fritz wrote:

I just used a water-based polyurethane for the first time. (I'm no
woodworking expert. The last time I refinished anything was my
grandma's old oak table, 20 years ago. Now it's time to refinish it
and I'm using water-based this time.)

I noticed the grain popped up after the first coat of poly. I assumed
that was because the water soaked into the wood. I sanded lightly with
220 grit and applied 2nd & 3rd coats.

It looks pretty good now. Not as smooth as the old poly, but that
might have been because the old stuff has 20 years of wear. I think I
might sand it again and put a few more coats on -- any harm in that?

It seems to me the water poly isn't filling in the open oak grain as
well as the old poly did. This is a kitchen/dining table that gets
plenty of use every day, including lots of spills from my 7-yr-old. I
want to make sure the wood is appropriately protected from spills and
is easy to clean up. Should I keep putting on 4th, 5th, ? coats until
it looks like the grain is filled in better?

Thanks,
Gary
remove xxx's to email