BruceR

Gary Fritz wrote:
I just used a water-based polyurethane for the first time. (I'm no
woodworking expert. The last time I refinished anything was my
grandma's old oak table, 20 years ago. Now it's time to refinish it
and I'm using water-based this time.)

I noticed the grain popped up after the first coat of poly. I assumed
that was because the water soaked into the wood. I sanded lightly with
220 grit and applied 2nd & 3rd coats.

Good.

It looks pretty good now. Not as smooth as the old poly, but that
might have been because the old stuff has 20 years of wear. I think I
might sand it again and put a few more coats on -- any harm in that?

Nope!

It seems to me the water poly isn't filling in the open oak grain as
well as the old poly did. This is a kitchen/dining table that gets
plenty of use every day, including lots of spills from my 7-yr-old. I
want to make sure the wood is appropriately protected from spills and
is easy to clean up. Should I keep putting on 4th, 5th, ? coats until
it looks like the grain is filled in better?

You can. Usually pore/defect filling is best done before the finish is
applied, but the only real drawback for you is more work and extra coats.

Keep in mind that water based poly is nothing at all like oil based.
They have the same name bit that is about it. Water based poly is much
like latex paint, it is not a very good water barrier at all. The finish
is emusified, which basically means the dried finish is much like scales
on a fish, lots of small "plates" each overlapping each other. Oil based
poly is actually cross linked and much more water tight.

I really like water based poly however since it is very easy to apply (I
like to spray), clean up, and adds no tint to the project.

-Bruce

Thanks,
Gary
remove xxx's to email