Boatman

Greg,

Air nailers have no feel so you cannot tell if you have encountered an
obstruction or missed a stud.

If you have a two story house be careful near studs that have outlets or
switches. Wiring can travel the edge of the stud. The same applies to water
pipes and hot water heating if they travel to an upper floor.

Don't put your hand near the nailer head when applying a shot. The wire
nails can turn 180 degrees (go U shape) if they encounter an obstruction
(nail head, knot, or steel bracket).

Mike

"Greg G" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying a nailer. My wife would like molding where
there is none, and new molding where there is old. That adds up to a
fair amount of molding. After that I see only sporadic use. I'm a
homeowner with modest but useful skills, but I have no experience at
all with nailers.

Questions:

First, and most important, my house has plaster walls. The interior
walls are what I believe is called "plasterboard", which appears to be
essentially sheetrock with 1" holes in it. Plaster is applied over
that , sticking through the holes for extra strength. The exterior
walls are masonry (brick or cinder block) with plaster applied onto
the inside surfaces.

So can I expect to nail into those surfaces? I suppose if I have to I
can choose a molding shape that I can nail into the ceilings rather
than the walls.

What about nail gauges? What is appropriate for my use? And lengths?

For the relatively light use that I have described would a fuel cell
powered gun be a good choice? I like the idea of avoiding a tether,
but I wonder if there aren't some limitations that might even affect
me.

What else am I forgetting?

Greg Guarino