Norm Dresner

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Norm Dresner wrote:

Browsing through some papers, I just discovered that the "Signetics"
NE5534N Op Amp has an absolute maximum voltage spec of +-22V. I've got

bunch of them and it sounds like this should solve my problem. Well, I
might have to add some additional compensation to slow it down to

741-speed,
but I think that's the way to go.

Norm

The ST part is a grand total of $0.88 each. If you buy nothing else, then
that will be coupled with a $5 shipping charge... still not too bad for

the
real thing.

You're right -- there's nothing like the "real thing", unless there's
something better. One of the reasons that was given for not using a simple
3-terminal regulator here was that the OpAmp-based regulator would provide
much better regulation in general and better ripple rejection in particular.
If that's really true, then how could a better Op Amp hurt? I can't believe
that the designers of the circuit chose the 741 as the optimum device to use
over dozens of Op Amps that hadn't been designed yet.

BTW, I've also found out that the OP-27 has +-22V specs too and I've got
those as well. It's got lower noise and offset voltage, higher slew rate,
and wider bandwidth than the 741. Which of those do you think make it less
suitable?

Norm