Swingman

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
A "chamfer" is often refered to as a "bevel" in woodworking, "bevel"

being
one of the accepted definitions of "chamfer".

Not really true. A chamfer is always 45 degrees. A bevel
varies.

Not really true. Check any dictionary/encyclopedia for a definition of
"chamfer".

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...mfer&x=14&y=16

A classic definition is two surfaces meeting at an angle different than 90
degrees. A "chamfered groove" in a column is not necessarily at 45 degrees.

While all chamfers may be a bevel, not all bevels are
chamfers.

In woodworking, if a client asks you for a 1/2" 45 degree chamfer on a

table
leg, you'd best measure the face. Put a 1/2" 45 degree chamfer on a 3" X

3"
table leg with your engineering formula and you would not have a leg left

stand on.

First, saying "45 degree" chamfer is redundant (see above).

See above

A 1/2" chamfer on a 3" face would leave 2" of "flat".

It's been that way since Grandpa taught it to me and I'm
fairly certain he didn't make it up.

And I learned it the other way ... from a different Grandpa, who I'm fairly
certain didn't make it up either. Not to mention that working in wood with
architects, it's been a face measurement more often than not ... not that I
would use the breed as a definitive reference on most anything to do with
woodworking.

Nonetheless, next time an someone specs a chamfered edge on a rail, you'd do
well to get a clarification.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04