Wizard of Ozz

Franc Zabkar wrote in message . ..
On 23 Oct 2004 23:40:46 -0700, (Wizard of
Ozz) put finger to keyboard and composed:

I just bought a Samsung Syncmaster 793s 17" monitor. I'm using a very
old computer, with a very old video card, a SiS 6326 (Silicon
Integrated Systems) from 1997. I'm using Windows 98.

snip

After reading the monitor CD manual to make sure I wasn't doint
something I would regret, I manually changed the refresh rate to 85 Hz
(always at 800*600). Perfect! Beautiful image. Except...

There are these evenly spaced vertical lines, just noticeable, across
the screen. Others might not complain about them. I'm a perfectionist
(there's a bit about perfectionists in the FAQ). There's 7 of them.
They weren't there at 75 Hz. Very evenly spaced, about 4.2 cm apart
(1.65 inches). They are each 1 mm thick (0.04 inches). They seem to be
slightly brighter than the sorrounding picture. On a black image they
don't appear, but on a uniform image of white, red, blue, or green,
they do. When viewing text, I can't notice them, though they still
appear in the blank parts of the text screen. They stretch from top to
bottom. The 2 closest to the left and right side of the screen are
about 2 and 3 cm respectively from the edge of the screen.

If I move the screen using the controls on the side of the monitor,
the lines move with the screen.

Do the lines move with the raster, or do they move with the video
content? What happens if you display a black screen and max out the
brightness and contrast?

- Franc Zabkar

They move with the raster. On a black screen (a black gif image
engulfing the screen) the lines disappear completely. Changing the
brightness or contrast doesn't affect this.