Bill Rubenstein

Greg has pretty much nailed it. On a shortbed you can stand at the end of the lathe and keep
the tools near your body where you have more control. On a longbed you need to extend your
arms, it is tiring, you lose control, etc.

Or, you can use the old David Ellsworth method of riding the ways.

The best way to find out the advantage of a shortbed -- try it. You will not want to go
back.

Bill

In article , Greg G. says...
Maxprop said:

While I can guess at the reason for this, I'd appreciate your take on
shortbed vs. longbed. Why would a longbed be any less desirable for bowls
and hollows? Thanks in advance, Bill.

I'm no expert, but my answer would be that the bed gets in the way of
an optimal approach to the hollow of the bowl/vessel - interfering
with both your body and your tool handles.

Greg G.