Greg G

Default Nail gun advice.

I'm thinking of buying a nailer. My wife would like molding where
there is none, and new molding where there is old. That adds up to a
fair amount of molding. After that I see only sporadic use. I'm a
homeowner with modest but useful skills, but I have no experience at
all with nailers.

Questions:

First, and most important, my house has plaster walls. The interior
walls are what I believe is called "plasterboard", which appears to be
essentially sheetrock with 1" holes in it. Plaster is applied over
that , sticking through the holes for extra strength. The exterior
walls are masonry (brick or cinder block) with plaster applied onto
the inside surfaces.

So can I expect to nail into those surfaces? I suppose if I have to I
can choose a molding shape that I can nail into the ceilings rather
than the walls.

What about nail gauges? What is appropriate for my use? And lengths?

For the relatively light use that I have described would a fuel cell
powered gun be a good choice? I like the idea of avoiding a tether,
but I wonder if there aren't some limitations that might even affect
me.

What else am I forgetting?

Greg Guarino