Walter Cohen

Part of the reason I leave the window open constantly is to help prevent ice
dams in the winter.
And I wouldn't say the air space is 'well vented'. I wish I had more
ventilation than I already do (which is not much as it is only the open
window and two tiny air vents at the far corner of the attic).

Would it be better to insulate the walls between the heated rooms and the
attic space and continue to leave the window open?

Thanks,
Walter

"v" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:16:19 GMT, someone wrote:

Are you saying the insulation is on the underside of the roof and not

resting
on the floor of the attic? If so, then no, the insulation is doing

nothing.
Since you're keeping the air space well ventilated.... If you finish the

attic
and make sure that the underside of the roof can breathe, then the

insulation
goes on the inside of the roof. That makes the attic an insulated,

heated,
usable space.

Well, he's/she's half way there now. It seems like this is a half
attic - there already are finished heated rooms bordering it, and the
walls between these spaces and the "attic" are not insulated.

So the 1st thing he/she needs to do is CLOSE THE WINDOW (during
heating season). And treat this area as a heated space.

Right now, he/she is opening (with the window) this space to the
exterior, with NO insulation between heated rooms and the space in Q.

-v.