Sam Goldwasser

PaPaPeng writes:

I have one of those articulated flourescent worklamps that clamp
onto a table. This one has a transformer built into the base where
the clamp is.

I broke the switch when knocking out a dent on the shade. Its a two
part switch where I have to hold down both switches until the paired
tubes come ON. I can use one switch for OFF . How does this two part
switch arrangement work? What parts do I need to make a sunstitute?
I won't be able to locate a replacement for the originals. Let that
repair slide for years.

You should be able to figure it our from the remains but the way it should
work is that one part of the switch is simply in series with power and the
other acts as the starter completing the filament circuit while pressed.

Power Switch +-----------+
Line 1 (H) o------/ ---------| Ballast |-----------+
+-----------+ |

.--------------------------. |
Line 2 (N) o---------|- Fluorescent -|----+
| ) Tube ( |
+---|- (bipin or circline) -|----+
| '--------------------------' |
| |
| | Starter | |
| switch |

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Unlikely but no way to know for sure. It really shouldn't blow up.