Greg G.

George said:

snip
Best tool for this is the right-angle gouge - a ring tool like the Termite.

snip
I wouldn't try to soften the wood with anything. Might try to consolidate
it with some shellac or lacquer, CA or one of the commercial products so it
doesn't peck out. Water'd have a tendency to foster tearing.

Thanks, I'll try again. The problem is, this wood doesn't want to cut
and curl, it wants to chip out.

I've looked at the Termite, but wasn't sure it was worth a try.
Also looked at the Sorby Hollowmaster. Is this the same as the Sorby
RS-2000? Is it worth considering?

Peck out - *that's* the phrase I was looking for...

Greg G.