Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
spamoff (AndyM) writes:
First of all, many thanks for all the good advice on this NG. More than enough
for me to tackle my own CH system. (I'm an aircraft engineer by trade)

In the commissioning notes for my Baxi 105E it says "open the automatic air
vent". At no time does it say "close the vent"

Does the vent stay open during operation€¦.or what?

I left mine open for a few weeks after filling, to help let trapped
air and gasses which come out of solution to escape. When I stopped
hearing bubbles in the pipework, I closed it. You want to crank the
water temperature up to max at some point before you close it, as
that will release the most dissolved gasses which can then escape.

In theory you can leave it open, but they sometimes leak. I noticed
mine had ejected the odd drop, not enough to worry about but I wanted
to rule out the drop coming from anything else. Whenever I open the
boiler casing for any reason, I usually momentarily open it just to
let out anything trapped.

--
Andrew Gabriel