Brikp

I built a similar table but used tile. Tile set in a mortar bed. You may
want to consider this so your stone is 100% supported. You could then also
use granite tiles (1/4" thick and readily available). If you plan right you
can use a 2x4 pattern with no cuts. If your too far along then the blue or
orange store will cut for you.

My table has held up to 15 years of abuse, including 3 years in a dorm room!

A single stone would look cool though but I have no idea where you could get
one except from a granite counter fabricator. Weight would probably be a
huge factor though.

Have fun.

-B

"LStole" wrote in message
news:2004102516543716807%larsstole@gsbuchicagoedu. ..
I'm designing a mahagony coffee table and would like to have a wooden
frame with a stone insert -- preferably a green granite or marble --
for the table surface. This raises a few questions that
possibly someone could help me with:

1) How thick should I make the granite/marble? The table top is 32" by
54", so I am planning to make a rabbetted frame with 4" wide rails and
stiles using 1" thick mahagony. That leaves about 24"x46" for the stone.
In addition to the rabbets, I am planning on using three 1x1's running
across the underside of the frame to further support the stone. I'm
guessing that the weight of the stone shouldn't be an issue, but maybe I'm
wrong.

2) Any suggestions about where one can get a nice piece of 22"x44"
granite of the right thickness for furniture? Chicago area? A friend
already cautioned me to cut out an MDF template to give to the stone
dealer to be sure that the size is perfect. Any other advice?

Thanks.