Andrew Mawson

Default Plastering - any tips?

"Rob Nicholson" wrote in message
Renovation of the bathroom continues apace - the end is in sight!

Part of the renovation has been to extend the bathroom into the bedroom by
about a foot in order to fit a full-size bath. This has created an alcove
constructed as a stud wall covered in Wickes plasterboard.

The majority of the surfaces are going to be tiled so don't have to be

made
particularly "good". Except the ceiling of the alcove which, like the main
ceiling, I'm considering painting.

Therefore, an area of about 1.5m x 0.5m needs plastering. I've done some
bonding plasterwork but this is the first time I'm going to attempt
finishing plaster. I've bought a bag of Wickes universal finishing

plaster.

Anyone got any tips for this job?

o Should I try and make the mix quite thick as it's been applied to an
upside down surface?
o I was just going to treat the plasterboard with PVC glue - is this
adequate?
o As it's just a shim over the plasterboard that's required to hide the
gaps, it can be a pretty thin layer - ok?
o How long does a thin layer like this take to dry?

Thanks, Rob.

Rob,

In my experience tiles directly onto plasterboard don't stay stuck for more
than a year or so. The slight flexing of the plasterboard unbonds them. I
have used Wickes cement based board intended for tiling in wet places and so
far (4 years) it has stood the test of time.

Andrew Mawson