Denis Marier

I like to turn red alder. At first I did not know what specie it was as It
came from the firewood pile. It has red streaks which makes it look nice.
The other day the Crime Stopper organization were collecting objets to be
auctioned for the benefit of gathering money. I gave two 6 inches bowl one
made with alder and one made with maple.
The bowls were auctioned and the alder one sold for $25.00 and the maple for
$20.00.
Not a lot of money but people did appreciate the beauty of the red alder
wood over the sap maple. Now I am on the hunt for alder wood preferably red
and 8” to 12” in diameter if I can find that large of a diameter?

"Derek Hartzell" wrote in message
Please keep posting. It's nice to hear from people all over. This forum

is
for woodturning information and not for English grammar, punctuation or
spelling.

Derek

"I think Alder is ok to turn, I have turned a lot of Alder wood. But you
need
sharp edge. It is very light in weight, so if you turn a bowl of Alder

very
thin, it will be almost weightless.( excuse my english, I am a norwegian,
and not so good in English)
Ivar Tyrhaug, Norway"