Anna Kettle

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:33:10 GMT, Rick Dipper
wrote:

I am in the UK and live in a property that dates from 1620. The house
has two Inglenook fireplaces that share a common chimney (but
different flues). The previous owner did not use the fires for at
least 30 yrs. As I am the new owner, I wish to use the fires again.

The parging is coming away in several places and there is
repointing/relaying of some bricks required.

Can anyone recommend the appropriate parging and mortar mixes I should
use in this case?

On 26th November there is a Historic Chimneys day at Hampton Court
which I am going to. Hopefully once I return I will be able to give
you chapter and verse

but meanwhile

Do a smoke test

I am not confident that fresh mortar would stick well to a sooted
chimney

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642